I came across this great contest going on at PBS Kids for kids in grades K-3! Check it out and get our little ones writing and thinking about stories to share!blog comments powered by Disqus
1st Place 2nd Place 3rd Place Prizes available!
You can use this for writing more stories, creating cool graphics, and reading other authors’ work online. When you want to capture real-life stories using photos, this'll come in handy. Tunes and videos can tell a story too…or inspire us to make up our own.
Writers Contest Certificate Plus, national winners will have their stories published on this Web site, and everyone who enters gets a PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest Certificate of Achievement.
Eligibility & Entry Guidelines
* Entrants must be in kindergarten, first, second or third grade.
* Children of employees of PBS, PBS stations or their affiliates, WNED, sales representatives, subsidiaries or parent companies, advertising/sales promotion agencies, and judges are not eligible.
* To be eligible, an entrant must be a legal resident of the United States. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify ineligible entries; such entries will not be returned.
* Only one entry per person will be accepted; all subsequent entries will be disqualified.
* Only single author stories qualify (no co-authored stories).
* Stories can be fact or fiction, and prose or poetry.
* Any failure to adhere to these Contest Rules may result in disqualification from the contest.
* No purchase is necessary.
* Kindergarten and first grade stories must have a minimum of 50 words and a maximum of 200 words.
* Second and third grade stories must have a minimum of 100 words and a maximum of 350 words.
* The word count includes “a,” “an,” and “the,” but not the words on non-story pages such as the title page or those that enhance the illustrations.
* Text must be printed or written legibly or typed.
* Children who cannot write may dictate their story to be printed, written legibly or typed.
* Text may be integrated into the illustration pages or on separate pages.
* Non-English text must be translated on the same page and the translation text must adhere to word count.
* Invented spelling is accepted.
Format & Illustrations
* Stories must have at least 5 original, clear and colorful illustrations.
* Original art can include drawings, photographs, collages, and 3-D.
* Stories must be created on one side of the paper and numbered on the back of each page.
Official Entry Form
* Each entry must include the official PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest Entry Form, with the required signature of a parent/guardian (and, if appropriate, the optional signature of the sponsoring teacher), confirming that the story and art are original, and granting certain rights to the entry materials.
* The entry form must be complete and legible.
Learn More:Writers Contest . Prizes & Rules . PBS KIDS GO!
Download and print the complete rules to review before entering!
National Prizes: 4 laptops (~ $1,000), 4 cameras (~ $200), 4 MP3 players (~ $150).
Good luck! I didn't see a deadline, so hopefully it is ongoing...let me know how your child does!