According to this article, the Food and Service Agency in the UK is reporting that this health drink called Miracle Mineral Supplement contains industrial strength bleach!! It is sold online and claims to cure cancer and other ailments. However, if taken in large doses anything with sodium chlorite could be fatal.
The Wikipedia article indicates sodium chlorite is found in other products, such as toothpaste&gels, mouthwashes and contact lense cleaners. However these are not normally digested and this drink is being sold as a health product to consume. But, as someone noted in the comments section, the FSA,Food and Safety Agency in the UK was abolished in July 2012. So how credible is the report??
The Miracle Mineral Solutions manufacturer has not responded to the claims. So, use at your own risk??!!
Urgent warning about health drink which contains industrial bleach
Government health watchdogs yesterday issued an urgent warning about a ‘miracle’ health drink that contains industrial strength BLEACH.
Hundreds of thousands of bottles of Miracle Mineral Solution have been sold worldwide after it claimed to cure illnesses including cancer and Malaria.
But its desperate users have suffered agonising bouts of nausea and diarrhoea after taking just a few drops of the fluid.
Shockingly, the health drink contains 28 per cent sodium chlorite solution – the equivalent to industrial strength bleach and six times the amount in a bottle of Domestos.
The Food Standards Agency has now warned people who have bought the drink to throw it away after Trading Standards received complaints.
”Sodium Chlorite is bleach. Bleach is not on the approved list of foods and it shouldn’t be sold as a food supplement.”
Miracle Mineral Solution is sold over the internet by a man who gives his name as ”Jim Humble”.
A bottle of the liquid costs $21.98 and users must mix it with citric acid.
They are advised to slowly increase their dosage up to 15 drops four times a day.
Makers of the liquid claim that the solution can cure a range of illnesses including Hepatitis, cancer, Crohns disease, the flu, herpes and TB.
But side-effects include severe nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea, dehydration and reduced blood pressure.
If the solution is taken in large enough doses the sodium chlorite could be fatal.
An FSA spokesperson added: ”This product is being sold as an oral supplement and is also known as Miracle Mineral Supplement.
”If you have any of this product you should throw it away. If you have consumed MMS and feel unwell you should consult your doctor.
”Micracle Mineral Solution is a 28 per cent sodium chlorite solution which is equivalent to industrial-strength bleach.
”If the solution is diluted less than instructed, it could cause damage to the gut and red blood cells, potentially resulting in respiratory failure.
”MMS is available via the Internet. The FSA is warning local authorities that this product should not be on sale. If you are aware of MMS being sold in retail outlets, you should contact your local authority trading standards department.”Read more at swns.com
For what it's worth, from Wikipedia:
The main application of sodium chlorite is the generation of chlorine dioxide for bleaching and stripping of textiles, pulp, and paper. It is also used for disinfection of a few municipal water treatment plants after conversion to chlorine dioxide. An advantage in this application, as compared to the more commonly used chlorine, is that trihalomethanes (such as chloroform) are not produced from organic contaminants.
Sodium chlorite, NaClO2, sometimes in combination with zinc chloride, also finds application as a component in therapeutic rinses, mouthwashes, toothpastes and gels, mouth sprays, as a teat dip for control of mastitis in dairy cattle, and also in contact lens cleaning solution under the trade name Purite. Under the brand name Oxine it is used for sanitizing air ducts and HVAC/R systems and animal containment areas (walls, floors, and other surfaces).
Short story - it's used for a lot of things and appears to already be in many of the products that we use daily. Methinks the UK-based FSA was making a mountain out of a molehill. One can kill oneself with any manner of products if proper instructions are not followed.
BTW, this agency was abolished on July 12th 2010 --
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/news/food-standards-agency-abolished-2024489.htmlRead more at swns.com
blog comments powered by Disqus